If any small or big organization or any individual person wants to create a presence on the World Wide Web then build a website. Today Building a web site or web pages can be as so simple as using a word processor (MS Word), After Building a website you need to publish it on the internet. This is where web hosting is required.
Hosting Website or 'web page hosting' is a web service, web hosting service provided by a web hosting provider which provide us a physical location for the storage of web pages and any type of files. You can think like a web hosting companies as a type of landlord, they get rent from website Owner and provide physical storage space on their web server hosting allowing web pages to be viewed on the Internet.
Web hosting service or web hosting provider providing high-powered computers (web servers) with a high-speed internet for your website to live on. When someone types in your website address (such as http://ecomputernotes.com) they will be connected to your web page hostingserver where they can surf (browsing) pages of your website.
Free or Paid Hosting?
There are many web hosting companies that provide us a free Hosting Website, so if you are not interested to pay don’t bother paying for it
Most free ‘web hosting companies’ offer limited services and not a penny charge from you to web page hosting. They get revenue by placing advertising on your site.
In addition, free web hosting companies restrict You to may not be allowed to sell any product or have certain content such as videos or music etc.
If you are serious about having a Hosting Website you need to use a reliable web hosting company. Prices range of web hosting companies offering as low as $1 a month while others charge $100 or more. High rates web hosting companies don't always translate as high service. Some of the lower priced web hosting companies offer reliable, stable environments that allow your website to be accessed day in day out for years.
Generally speaking the more you pay the more you get. Higher rates should bring you more storage space, more bandwidth to handle Internet traffic, and more services such as databases, email accounts, mass mailers, and the ability to add custom scripts. Higher rates web hosting provider can also mean better technical service if you have problems with your Hosting Website or web page hosting.
Types of Hosting
As technology has progressed different types of web hosting companies appeared to meet the different needs of Hosting Website and customers:
- Shared Web Hosting
- VPS (Virtual Private Servers)
- Dedicated Hosting
- Managed Hosting
Shared Web Hosting is the most common type of web hosting, and is also the easiest to start out on.
Shared web hosting is a service where one server is shared between many customers. This typically offers the following advantages and disadvantages:
- It’s cheaper – you don’t need to pay for the whole Hosting Website server upfront.
- It’s easier to use – the web hosting server is preconfigured with the most popular options and your hosting company will take care of any maintenance and security updates for you.
- You share the web hosting server resources with your neighbors – if one site becomes really busy it may affect (and slow down) all other sites on that web hosting server.
- It can be less flexible – like living in a shared apartment block your neighbors need to be considered. Similar to exclusions on keeping pets or throwing wild parties (but less fun), you probably won’t be able to block a specific port or modify a core component.
Because shared web hosting is the most common type of web hosting, most web hosting companies simply refer to it as web hosting or web site hosting. Shared web hosting comes in two flavors depending on your preferred operating system: Linux web hosting and windows web hosting.
VPS stands for Virtual Private Servers, and is essentially a half-way house between shared web hosting and dedicated web hosting.
VPS customers still share the physical server hardware with other VPS customers, but special virtualization technology partitions the web hosting server so that each partition has its own dedicated resources and can be configured almost like a full dedicated server.
This typically offers the following advantages and disadvantages:
- Your website will have partitioned resources such as CPU and memory – so noisy neighbors sharing the same hardware as you will have less of an effect.
- Less customers occupy the same web hosting server – so your website will have more resources at its disposal than shared web hosting, but your monthly fee will typically be higher.
- The virtualization software provides much more freedom to configure your web hosting server, but it also assumes a higher level of technical experience.
Dedicated web hosting
Dedicated web hosting server is where customers have an entire server and all its resources dedicated to their personal use. Dedicated hosting typically offers the following advantages and disadvantages.
- Flexibility & customization – customers can choose the exact hardware and software specifications of the server to meet their needs.
- Dedicated resources and guaranteed performance – customers don’t share their server resources with anyone else.
- Full control – customers have full root access to their servers and can configure and tweak their setup to meet their needs.
- Prior technical knowledge is required – unless a server management option has been selected it will be your responsibility to manage and configure the server.
- More expensive – the cost of the server isn’t shared with any other customers.
Managed web hosting
Managed web hosting gives customers all the benefits of a dedicated web hosting server without any of the server administration overheads.
Depending on the server management package chosen, the system administrators of your hosting company will perform a variety of server management tasks on your behalf.
These may include:
- Rebooting your server
- Keeping your operating system and or control panel up to date
- Installing security patches
- Monitoring the performance of your server
- Installing 3rd party applications or configuring your server from scratch