Both the Shell and the Kernel are the Parts of this Operating System. These Both Parts are used for performing any Operation on the System. When a user gives his Command for Performing Any Operation, then the Request Will goes to the Shell Parts, The Shell Parts is also called as the Interpreter which translate the Human Program into the Machine Language and then the Request will be transferred to the Kernel. So that Shell is just called as the interpreter of the Commands which Converts the Request of the User into the Machine Language.
Kernel is also called as the heart of the Operating System and the Every Operation is performed by using the Kernel , When the Kernel Receives the Request from the Shell then this will Process the Request and Display the Results on the Screen. The various Types of Operations those are Performed by the Kernel are as followings:-
1) It Controls the State the Process Means it checks whether the Process is running or Process is Waiting for the Request of the user.
2) Provides the Memory for the Processes those are Running on the System Means Kernel Runs the Allocation and De-allocation Process , First When we Request for the service then the Kernel will Provides the Memory to the Process and after that he also Release the Memory which is Given to a Process.
3) The Kernel also Maintains a Time table for all the Processes those are Running Means the Kernel also Prepare the Schedule Time means this will Provide the Time to various Process of the CPU and the Kernel also Puts the Waiting and Suspended Jobs into the different Memory Area.
4) When a Kernel determines that the Logical Memory doesn’t fit to Store the Programs. Then he uses the Concept of the Physical Memory which Will Stores the Programs into Temporary Manner. Means the Physical Memory of the System can be used as Temporary Memory.
5) Kernel also maintains all the files those are Stored into the Computer System and the Kernel Also Stores all the Files into the System as no one can read or Write the Files without any Permissions. So that the Kernel System also Provides us the Facility to use the Passwords and also all the Files are Stored into the Particular Manner.
As we have learned there are Many Programs or Functions those are Performed by the Kernel But the Functions those are Performed by the Kernel will never be Shown to the user. And the Functions of the Kernel are Transparent to the user.