What is Computer : Computer is an electronic device that is designed to work with Information. The term computer is derived from the Latin term ‘computare’, this means to calculate or programmable machine. Computer can not do anything without a Program. It represents the decimal numbers through a string of binary digits. The Word ‘Computer’ usually refers to the Center Processor Unit plus Internal memory.
Charles Babbage is called the “Grand Father” of the computer. The First mechanical computer designed by Charles Babbage was called Analytical Engine. It uses read-only memory in the form of punch cards.
The computer is an electronic device that takes input from the user and processes these data under the control of a set of instructions (called program) and gives the result (output) and saves future use. It can process both numerical and non-numerical (arithmetic and logical) calculations.
Digital Computer Definition
The basic components of a modern digital computer are: Input Device, Output Device, Central Processor Unit (CPU), mass storage device and memory. A Typical modern computer uses LSI Chips. Four Functions about computer are:
| Produces output||Output|
Process is the operation of data as per given instruction. It is totally internal process of the computer system.
Output is the processed data given by computer after data processing. Output is also called as Result. We can save these results in the storage devices for the future use.
Computer Classification: By Size and Power
Computers differ based on their data processing abilities. They are classified according to purpose, data handling and functionality.
According to functionality, computers are classified as:
• Analog Computer: A computer that represents numbers by some continuously variable physical quantity, whose variations mimic some system’s properties being modeled.
• Workstation: A terminal or desktop computer in a network. In this context, the workstation is just a generic term for a user’s machine (client machine) in contrast to a “server” or “mainframe.”
• Mainframe: It refers to the kind of large computer that runs an entire corporation.
• Supercomputer: It is the most giant, fastest, and most expensive computers on earth.
• Microcomputer: Your personal computer is a microcomputer.