1. Visual Basic provides number of built in functions. The Val function is one of it. Val function converts the text data into a numeric value.
The general form of Val function is as follows:
Val(Expression to Convert)
2. The expression you wish to convert can be the property of control, a variable, or a constant.
3. A function can not stand by itself. It returns (produces) a value that can be used a part of a statement, such as the assignment statements in the following examples.
4. When the Val function converts as argument to numeric, it begins at argument’s left most character. If that character is a number digit, decimal point, or sign, Val converts the character to numeric and moves to the next character. As soon as a nonnumeric character is found, the operation stops.
5. Example: Val(123.45) will return = 123.45 and Val(123A5) will return 123 only.